Thursday, October 21, 2021

Why This Website?

I have been reading Bryan Caplan's blog posts for years, but I recently noticed that my favorites among his rather prolific output are the occasional posts where he offers advice on how to live a happy life. I saved Make Your Own Bubble in 10 Easy Steps on my browser bar, so that I could easily re-read it any time I wanted. I  also particularly liked Better Ways To Buy Your Happiness. 

Noticing Bryan Caplan's advice at one of his posts (item number 10) I read The Letter to Menoeceus by the philosopher Epicurus and became really interested in Epicureanism, which among other things is a philosophy on how to be happy. I noticed that Caplan's advice on his blog and Twitter account  fitted my new interest in Epicureanism. For example, Epicureanism puts a heavy emphasis on the value of friendship, and as of this writing, the pinned Tweet at Dr. Caplan's Twitter account says, "Anytime you see me in public, please introduce yourself. 

"Making friends has worked out swimmingly for me so far!"

So I decided to put together a collection of Professor Caplan's life advice blog posts. At first it was going to be just for my own use, but then I decided to put together a public collection, both to make it easy for me to access it from anywhere, and because I thought others might be interested. I have also offered a sampling of other blog posts. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Two Tips For Making Decisions

Photo by Vladislav Babienko on Unsplash By Bryan Caplan When we see people making bad decisions – whether as consumers or voters – we often...